Aamras with Poori is a lipsmacking combo that is so famous in Maharashtra during March-May. This is the period when Alphonso and other mango varieties flock the market. Aamras paired with puffed Pooris will find its place without fail in majority of the households and also all the eateries serving thalis.
My kids and I are mango lovers. Every year, we eagerly wait for the ‘King of Fruits’ to arrive in the market. As the season starts, we relish and enjoy the ‘Hapoos’ to our heart’s content. We like to enjoy mangoes as a whole. My husband too likes to have them once in a while. But, he loves the pair – Aamras with Pooris more or just the Aamras as a chilled dessert. This is such an easy recipe best made with ripe and juicy mangoes. The authentic way that my neighbour had taught me is to use hands to squeeze the whole ripe Alphonso mango and extracting the pulp. However, for ease of convenience, I use a mixer to prepare the Aamras. Whichever way it is prepared; we relish and enjoy the delicious and yummy – Aamras.
Mangoes – 3 small (I used Alphonso variety; any ripe mango that is not fibrous but juicy can be used)
Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
Sugar – As needed (optional)
Milk – 3-4 tbsps (optional)
Saffron few strands
- Wash and peel the mangoes. Roughly chop them into cubes.
- Take the mango cubes and sugar in a small mixer jar and blend it well into a smooth puree by adding milk.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, add cardamom powder and saffron. Mix well and serve immediately. You can also serve it chilled.
Serve it as a dessert or paired with Pooris or Chapathis and Potato Masala.
- I used Alphonso variety. Any mango variety that is ripe and juicy but not fibrous can be used.
- Using sugar is optional. Taste the mango and add sugar (as needed) if it is sour or tangy. I did not add as the mangoes I used were very sweet.
- I added milk for the consistency, adding milk is purely optional.
- No need to add water while making the puree as adding sugar would make the puree a little thin.
- If serving as dessert, refrigerate it for 2-3 hrs and then serve chilled.