Urulaikilangu (Potato) Yennai Bedthai is my favorite dish when it comes to side dishes made with potatoes. I learnt this recipe from my mom. She makes this as a side dish for Onion-Tomato Soup Rice and sometimes as a side dish for Sambar or Rasam. I am big fan of this classic combo – Urulai Yennai Bedthai and Onion-Tomato Soup Rice
My mom makes the Onion-Tomato Soup that can be sipped just like that or had mixed with rice. Whenever she makes the soup, she ensures that Urulaikilangu Yennai Bedthai is made as the side dish. I have grown up on this combo. With just 4-5 ingredients and a little patience, this urulaikilangu yennai bedthai turns delectable. The key to this yennai bedthai is roasting it till crisp and golden brown without distorting the boiled and marinated potatoes.
These crispy and golden brown potatoes can be had as starters or as a side dish with Onion-Tomato Soup Rice or Sambar or Rasam or Curd Rice.
Potatoes are good natural source of soluble and insoluble fiber. There are also one of the richest sources of B-complex group of vitamins and also vitamin C. They also contain minerals like Iron, Manganese, Magnesium, Copper, Potassium and Phosporous.
Potatoes (Urulaikilangu) – 8 small sized
Milagai thool – 2 heaped tsps (equal quantity of chilli and coriander powder mixed together)
Thick tamarind extract – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for roasting
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cooking time – 20 – 25 mins
Total time – 40 mins
Serves 4 people
- Wash the potatoes well and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Peel and cut them into 1 cm roundels.
- In a plate or bowl, combine thick tamarind extract, milagai thool, turmeric powder and salt. Make into a thick paste. Add little water, if required.
- Marinate the cut potato roundels in this paste and set it aside for 10-15 mins.
- Heat a pan or tawa with 2 tsps of oil, place the marinated potatoes and fry them till gold brown on both sides. Repeat the same for the rest.
Yummy urulaikilangu yennai bedthai, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside are ready. Serve it as an accompaniment with Sambar or Rasam or Curd Rice or just like the way I like it, with Onion Tomato Soup Rice.
- Do not over cook the potatoes.
- For marinating, only chilli powder can be used skipping coriander powder.
- Do not overcrowd the pan while frying the potatoes. Frying each piece individually will yield crispy roundels.
- I used 2 tsps of oil in a non-stick pan. If you want crispier potatoes, you can use more oil and shallow fry the marinated potatoes.