Pumpkin Sabji or Khatta Meetha Kaddu ki Sabji is yet another favorite side dish that I often prepare at home. Pumpkin, known as ‘Kaddu’ in Hindi or ‘Poosanikai’ in Tamil is a very nutritious vegetable. It is rich in beta carotene and other antioxidants. Being a low calorie vegetable and rich in dietary fiber, it is recommended by dieticians in weight loss and cholesterol control programs.
Pumpkin is also a good source of vitamin B complex group. Its seeds are a great source of protein, minerals, vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. With numerous health benefits, pumpkin can be made into an easy and tasty side dish. The only effort and time consuming part is the peeling of the pumpkin. Once that is accomplished, your yummy khatta meetha pumpkin or kaddu ki sabji can be done in a jiffy. Do definitely use jaggery and tamarind in this side dish. Their usage lends a beautiful sweet and sour taste to this dish making it very delectable. Along with the use of chilli powder and goda masala, Khatta Meetha Pumpkin Sabji tastes delicious.
½ of a small pumpkin
Green chilli – 1
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp or to taste
Turmeric powder – one pinch (optional)
Goda masala or garam masala – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Grated jaggery – 1 tbsp or to taste
Thick tamarind extract – ½ to ¾ tbsp
Water as needed
Coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
Oil – 2 tsps
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Methi or fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp (optional)
Hing – ¼ tsp
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 15 mins
Total time – 25 mins
Serves 1 or 2
- Peel the outer skin of pumpkin and discard the peel, pith and seeds (refer notes to know on how to make these seeds into healthy snacks). Chop into 1” dices. Also, chop the green chillies and coriander leaves for garnishing, if using.
- Soak about gooseberry sized ball of tamarind in very little water (less than ¼ cup) and extract thick tamarind juice. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds to it and let them splutter. Add methi seeds, hing and green chillies. Reduce flame to low-medium and stir for ½ a minute.
- Add the diced pumpkin, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste. Add water just enough to immerse the pumpkin. Cover and cook until the pumpkins are soft.
- Once the pumpkins are tender, remove the lid and add goda masala, thick tamarind extract and jaggery. Mix well and cook until the raw smell of tamarind goes and everything blends well. This may take around 4-5 mins.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Serve this khatta meetha kaddu ki sabzi with hot phulkas or dal rice or chapathis or parathas. This yummy pumpkin sabji also goes well with pooris and curd rice.
- Pumpkin seeds are excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fibers. Instead of discarding the seeds, you can separate them from the pith and dry them in sun. Once dried, roast it in a pan with some salt and serve the roasted seeds as snacks.
- Adjust the spice levels to suit your taste buds.
- Also, you can increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery and tamarind extract used depending on how sweet and sour you would like the sabji.
- Goda masala is a Maharashtrian masala used in day to day cooking in Maharashtra. If the same is not available, you can instead use garam masala.
- If you feel the water in the sabji is less while the pumpkin is getting cooked, add more water as needed. Cook pumpkin until soft and firm and do not cook until mushy.