“Khamang Kakdi”, also known as the Kakdi chi Koshimbir is a Maharashtrian style cucumber salad with cucumber, crushed peanuts, lemon juice and coriander leaves. It is a very refreshing and a healthy salad. Also, an ideal candidate to satiate your hunger pangs in between meals.
Khamang Kakdi can either be served as an accompaniment with rice or with chapathi or you can enjoy it as is plain. This salad is one of the easiest and tastiest salads that can be whipped in less than 20 mins. Freshness of the cucumber along with the tanginess from the lemon juice, the crunch of peanut with the salty and sweet taste make this salad very flavorful. You can also add freshly scrapped coconut to make it even tastier. Do try this salad if you want a break from the regular and plain cut cucumber.
Cucumber – 2 medium sized
Green chilli – 1 or to taste
Lemon juice – ¼ to ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – ½ tsp
Crushed peanuts – 1 ½ tbsps
Coriander leaves – few
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp (optional)
Ghee – ½ tsp
Jeera – ½ tsp
Hing or asafoetida – a pinch (optional)
Prep time – 15 mins
Cook time – 3 mins
Total time – 20 mins
Serves 1 or 2
- Wash and peel the cucumber and cut into cubes. Rub ¼ tsp salt to the cubed cucumber and set aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, chop the coriander leaves and green chilli finely. Squeeze the lemon and keep the juice ready.
- If coarsely powdered peanut is not readily available, dry roast the peanut in a pan until brown and powder it coarsely using a mortar and pestle or in a mixer jar. Remove the skin and then powder the peanuts.
- After 10 mins, squeeze the cucumber gently to remove the excess water. Discard the residual water.
- Add to the cucumber, crushed peanut, coriander leaves, lemon juice, salt to taste, sugar and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a tadka pan, add jeera or cumin seeds to it and let it sizzle. Pour this tempering over the cucumber salad and serve immediately.
Relish this fresh Khamang Kakdi as is or as an accompaniment to your meal.
- Taste a slice of cucumber before you proceed with the recipe as sometimes certain variety of cucumber may taste bitter.
- Also, while adding salt in step 5, limit the addition of salt as we have already added salt in step 1.
- If adding grated coconut, you can add 1 tbsp of coconut while adding the rest of the ingredients in step5.
- If you like the flavor of curry leaves in your tempering, you can add 4-5 leaves while tempering.