Today’s recipe is Kara Chutney or popularly known as Hotel Style Kara Chutney. This bright reddish orange colored chutney is a favorite at our home..
This chutney is so delicious and finger licking that my family ends up having their breakfast a tad more than the usual quantity. It is easy, colorful and also takes less time to prepare. We also call this chutney as Vengaya Thakkali Chutney at home. This Hotel Style Kara Chutney goes well with Idlis, Set Dosas, Pongal or Crispy Dosas.
Onion – 2 medium sized
Tomato – 2 medium sized
Red chilli – 2 or 3
Curry leaves – a sprig
Urad dal – 2 tsps
Chana dal – 2 tsps
Mustard seeds – a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsps
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – few
Prep time – 5 mins
Cook time – 8-10 mins
Total time – 15 mins
- Roughly chop onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds to it and let them splutter. Add the dals and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped onions and curry leaves. Sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sauté until the tomatoes turn slightly mushy. Switch off the flame.
- Let the sautéed ingredients cool, transfer to a mixer jar, add salt and blend to chutney consistency. Add water to blend, if required.
- Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan. Add mustard seeds, let it crackle. Add curry leaves just before removing off the stove and pour it over the chutney. Mix well and serve.
Serve this yummy Kara Chutney with Idlis or Dosas or any breakfast item of your choice.
- I used byadgi chilli variety.
- For a bright red colored chutney, you can soak the sauteed chillies in hot water for 5 mins and then blend it along with sautéed onion and tomatoes. Saute red chiilies, remove and soak in hot water. Then add the chopped onions in the same pan for sauteing.