Carrot Poriyal or South Indian style Carrot Sabji is one of the easiest and tastiest side dish that you can quickly whip up. Carrots are loved by all at home and hence I often include them in our menu.
I make Carrot Kootu, Carrot Puttu, Carrot Rice or Carrot Sambar and today’s recipe is another preparation of my family’s favorite veggie. Do try this poriyal as it can easily be prepared in less than 30 minutes. You can pair it with Rice and Sambar or Rasam or Curds or serve it with Phulkas or Chapathis. Either ways, Carrot Poriyal tastes yum or just mix it with steamed rice and ghee and it makes a wonderful lunch box too.
Carrot – 2 big
Onion – 1 small
Red chilli powder – ¾ -1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – ¼ tsp (optional)
Oil – 3 tsps
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Prep time – 5 mins
Cook time – 20 mins
Total time – 25 mins
Serves – 4
- Wash, peel and chop the carrots. Chop the onion finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds to it and let them splutter. Add the urad dal and fry for 30 secs for the dals to turn golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and onions. Sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Add the carrots, salt to taste and sugar (if using), toss well. Cover and cook until the carrots are done.
- Lastly, add the chilli powder and mix well. Cook for 1-2 mins and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with Chapathis or steamed Rice and Sambar or Rasam or Curds.
- There is no need to add water to the carrots. As we are covering and cook, they would get cooked in their own steam.