Beetroot is one vegetable, which can be either eaten as raw as a salad or cooked. Beetroot poriyal or South Indian Beetroot Stir Fry is a delicious South Indian style stir fry where beetroot is steamed and then tempered with mustard, dals, and green chillies and tossed with freshly grated coconut. It is very easy to prepare, fresh and tasty and suits best as a side dish to rice and also to rotis.
I love beetroot for its color and freshness. While shopping for veggies, I ensure that I pick firm and hard ones rather than soft ones. Hard ones are fresh and suits best for poriyals or stir fries or pulav. Though there are many other recipes that make with beetroot as the main ingredient, this recipe is my favorite. This one is quickest to make and love it a lot for the freshness and the nutrients that get retained in the beetroot while cooked this way. I sometimes skip having rice or chapathis and just eat this poriyal alone along with a glass of buttermilk.
Beetroot has got numerous health and nutritional benefits. It is known to be the best antioxidant and also rich in fiber. When consumed regularly it helps normalize bowel movement thereby preventing constipation and also helps in lowering cholesterol levels. Beetroot is rich in potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B6 and C. It is helpful for those suffering from dementia, when consumed it increases the blood flow to the brain and reduces the effect of dementia. It also makes the bones stronger. Beetroot contains folic acid, which is essential for pregnant ladies.
Beetroot juice is said to be a very good energy provider and also beneficial to diabetes patients when consumed regularly.
Beetroot – 2 medium sized
Green chilli – 2
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Grated coconut – ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Chana dal or Kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp
Urad dal or Ullutham paruppu – 1 tsp
Preparation time -10 mins
Cooking time – 10 mins
Total time – 20 mins
Serves 2 people
- Peel and chop beetroot into small cubes. Slit or finely chop the green chillies.
- Steam the cubed beetroot in a pressure cooker for one whistle. Refer notes on how to steam the beetroot.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add urad and chana dals; let the dals turn golden brown.
- Add in the curry leaves and finely chopped green chillies. Saute for a min.
- Add in the steamed beetroot along with salt to taste, sauté for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add the shredded coconut and toss well.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Serve this beetroot poriyal with rice and sambar or mor kuzhambu. This poriyal also tastes good as an accompaniment to hot phulkas.
- I use a pressure cook for steaming the beetroot. I place the beetroot without any water in a bowl in a pressure cooker with an inch of water and pressure cook it for a whistle. This result is perfectly steamed beetroot, al dente. If you want it softer, cook for 2 or 3 whistles.
- You can also add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) while tempering.
- Addition of grated coconut elevates the taste of this stir fry, hence do not skip it.