Beans Potato Stir fry is an easy to make side dish that can be prepared in a jiffy. Beans and potato when combined and stir fried make a delectable combination and can be served as a side dish with rice or roti.
French beans as a vegetable is bland, however when its merger takes place with other vegetables like carrot or potato, it makes an interesting side dish and vanishes from our lunch plates. This stir fry is one such dish. The other day, I had just half an hour left before the kids came from the school. When I peeped into the refrigerator to decide on our lunch menu, I was left with just few beans and two boiled potatoes. Without much ado, came out the onion for its amalgamation with beans and potatoes and the resultant – Yummy Beans Potato Stir Fry.
Our lunch was chapathis, beans potato stir fry, rice, instant rasam and curds. All the items were ready in less than 30 mins. We all had a sumptuous and satisfying lunch.
Beans are said to be good source of vitamin A, B1, B6, and E and minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron, which are essential for body metabolism. They are also good source of folate. They are low in calories and high in fiber and protein. Beans act as natural laxative. Also, helps reduce blood cholesterol.
French beans – 15-20 nos.
Potatoes – 2 medium sized (boiled)
Onion – 1 medium sized
Curry leaves – 1 sprig (optional)
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) – ½ tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
Total time – 20 mins
Serves – 2 persons
- Wash the beans, trim the ends and chop into 1 cm length. Chop the boiled potatoes and onions.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add jeera and curry leaves.
- Add onions and fry till translucent.
- Now add the chopped beans. Stir fry on high for 3-4 mins. Now add in the chopped potatoes and the spice powders. Mix well and cook covered for 10 mins.
- Remove off the flame while the beans are done and still crunchy and the raw smell of the spice is gone.
Beans Potato Stir Fry is ready. Serve it with chapathis or rice and sambar or rasam or curds.
- Always select and use beans that are tender, long and stiff. Do not use beans with tough skin.
- You can sprinkle a handful of water if required while adding beans. I did not add water and just cooked it covering the pan with a lid.
- You can add coriander powder too along with chilli powder.
- You can also use finely chopped raw potatoes instead of boiled potatoes. However, It might take few more minutes to cook.