‘Thalicha Sadam’ is ‘Phodnicha Bhaat’ in Marathi, Talimpu Annam in Telugu, and ‘Tempered Rice’ in English. Thalicha Sadam is an easy and apt rice preparation to use leftover rice from the previous meal. Each household may have their own recipe of preparing Thalicha Sadam. Also, depending on the usage of ingredients, the taste too may vary slightly.
This recipe is one of the ways that Thalicha Sadam is made at our home. It is very simple, delicious and also quick to whip. It tastes so yummy on its own that there is no need for an accompaniment to go with this rice preparation. My son and I love ‘Thalicha Sadam’ so much that we sometimes skip the usual Sambar and Rasam, prepare this dish and enjoy it plain or with home made arisi vathal/vadam or his favorite veggie. Do try it and you will love the taste.
Left over rice – 1 cup
Onion – 1 big sized
Green chilli – 2
Curry leaves – 2 or 3 sprigs
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbspn
Cinnamon – 1” piece
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 10 min
Total time – 15 mins
- Slit green chilli and slice the onions thinly. Keep the rice ready without any lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once oil is hot, add the cinnamon followed by sliced onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute onions until they are pink on medium flame.
- Once done, add the rice along with turmeric powder and salt as needed. Toss well and serve hot.
Serve ‘Thalicha Sadam’ hot. Also, tastes yummy when served with pappad/appalam or vadam.
- Though left over rice suits best for this recipe, I sometimes use freshly cooked rice too to make Thalicha Sadam. I cool the rice a bit and then use it.
- If the rice is lumpy, break the lumps using your hands or a fork and then use it.
- For enhanced taste, you can add a tsp of ghee to the rice just before serving.