Spicy Tomato Rice or Spicy Masala Rice is very delicious rice recipe, which is also easy to make. This is a dish, which my mom makes often whenever there is some leftover rice. She also makes this during times when we have sudden hunger pangs and want something spicy to eat.
There are many rice varieties that can be made with leftover rice. As a school going kid, this spicy tomato rice used to be my favorite. I would often ask my mom to pack it for my lunch or make this as soon as I returned from school. I never used to get bored carrying the same dish on a daily basis.
If leftover rice is in hand, this can be made in a jiffy. You cut few onions, tomatoes, sauté them and throw in some spice powders and mix the rice. Tada, your rice is ready in few minutes.
Being my favorite, I make this very often at home and my husband and son love it. I make it with left over rice. Sometimes, I specially cook rice fresh, cool it and use it to make this dish whenever we feel like having this yummy rice dish.
Addition of green chillies along with chilli powder makes this rice really spicy and yummy to eat.
Cooked rice – 2 cups leftover rice
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tomato – 1 big or 2 medium sized
Green chilly – 1
Garlic – 8 cloves
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – a handful finely chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp
Butter – ½ tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
Total time – 25 mins
Serves – 2 people
- Chop onions, tomatoes, garlic, green chillies and coriander.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the jeera and urad dal. Let the urad dal turn golden brown.
- Add the onions along with garlic, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté until they turn mushy.
- Add in the chilli, coriander and turmeric powders along with the salt.
- Saute the masala well till the raw smell of the spice powders disappears. This may take 3-4 mins.
- Add the rice and toss well such that masala coats the rice. Cook covered for 2 mins.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Serve this spicy tomato rice with appalam/papad or any raita or potato chips. It tastes yummy plain too. We like ours with appalam or arisi vathal.
- I used Kolam rice variety. Any daily variety rice can be used. You can even use Basmati rice for this recipe.
- I used a measurement where 150 gms of uncooked rice yielded me 2 cups of cooked rice.
- If using freshly cooked rice, leave the rice inside the refrigerator for sometime and then proceed with the recipe.
- If making for kids, spice levels can be reduced.
- I sometimes add parboiled vegetables (carrot, peas, potato, beans, cauliflower) available at hand along with tomatoes to make this dish healthier.
- I used butter for extra flavor, same can be skipped.