Yam Rice or Karunai Kizhangu Rice is a delicious and healthy rice preparation with the goodness of Yam or Karunai Kizhangu. Yam is a favorite veggie at home and I often make Karunai Kizhangu Fry or Poriyal or Masiyal.
At times, when I want to keep it simple and healthy yet feel like having this veggie, I prepare this dish. This rice preparation makes an apt dish to be packed for lunch. It is tasty, very easy to prepare and perfect in those busy mornings when we are pressed for time.
Yam is a healthy tuber and is an excellent source of B complex vitamins like Vitamin B6, B1, riboflavin and folic acid. It also contains good amount of antioxidants and Vitamin C. Yam is also a rich source of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, phosphorous and calcium. Regular consumption helps in reducing constipation and also decreases bad cholesterol. Yam also has the ability to increase learning and memory capacity in the human brain. Regular intake also helps in increasing nutrient absorption in the body.
Whenever, I prepare this dish, I am taken back to my school days. This was one of my favorite lunch box menus that my mom used to pack frequently. If you have cooked rice and grated yam, this rice preparation can be done in a jiffy.
Cooked rice – 2 cups or as needed
Karunai Kizhangu/Yam – 150-200 gms
Onion – 1 medium sized
Garlic – 10 cloves
Green chilli – 2 -3
Curry leaves few
Butana Dal or Chutney Dal – 3 tbsps
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
Oil – 3 tsps
Sombu or Saunf or Fennel Seeds – ¾ tsp
Prep Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 15 mins
Total Time – 25 mins
- Peel the yam and grate it using a grater. Chop the onion and coriander. Slit the green chillies. Peel the garlic cloves. Powder the Butana or Chutney dal coarsely using a small mixer jar. Cook the rice and let it cool, if not already cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan. Reduce the flame and add fennel seeds. Sauté for half a minute. Add the chopped onion, garlic and green chillies along with the curry leaves. Saute till the onions turn pink.
- Add the grated yam, turmeric and salt to taste. Sauté till the yam is soft and cooked well.
- Add the coarsely powdered butana dal and mix well. Cook for another 3-4 mins until the raw smell of the dal goes off and everything blends well.
- Add the rice and toss well. Check for salt (already added in step 3) and add more, if required. Cook for another 2-3 mins until the rice is hot and everything is blended well.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Tasty and healthy Yam Rice is ready to be relished. This rice tastes good on its own without any side dish too. However, you can serve it with any vegetable stir fry or poriyal of your choice. Appalam/pappad/chips too make an excellent accompaniment to this preparation.
- Rice should be fluffy and not overcooked and mushy. You can cook and cool the rice beforehand or the previous night and refrigerate if planning for the lunch box.
- You can use any rice variety that you like. Any long grained rice or regular daily use rice also can be used. Adjust the water quantity as needed depending on the rice type.
- The number of green chillies used gives mildly spiced rice. If you want it spicier, increase the quantity of green chillies.