Coconut rice, also known as Thengai Sadam in Tamil is one of the favorite rice varieties at home. This South Indian style coconut rice preparation is so simple that even a novice cook can easily prepare.
Also, involves least prep work when you have grated coconut and cooked rice readily available. As the taste of coconut rice enhances after one or two hrs of its preparation, it makes a very good choice for a packed lunch. Coconut rice tastes very delicious on its own too. To make it fulfilling, you can add as an accompaniment any stir fried crisp veggie like Potato Fry or a pappad or appalam and a salad. Though regular tempering of mustard seeds and dals are used, for variations, you can add finely chopped ginger or cumin seeds in the tempering.
Cooked rice – 1 cup
Grated coconut – ½ cup
Salt as needed
Coconut oil – 2 tsps
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Chana dal – ½ tsp
Broken cashews – 6 to 8
Green chilli – 1
Red chilli – 1 or 2
Hing or asafoetida – a big pinch
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 10 mins
Total time – 20 mins
- Grate fresh coconut using a coconut grater or add small cut pieces of coconut to a mixer jar and pulse it for 1 or 2 mins. Grated coconut will be ready in a jiffy.
- Cook rice such that the grains are separate and not mushy. I used ordinary rice variety. You can use basmati variety too. If the rice is freshly cooked, let it cool for some time before you proceed with the recipe.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add urad dal, chana dal and cashews. Saute till golden brown.
- Add the chillies (red and green), hing and curry leaves and sauté for half a minute.
- Add grated coconut and sauté for 5 to 7 mins. Finally add rice and salt and toss well such that there are no lumps and rice and coconut is mixed well.
- Coconut rice is ready to be served.
Serve coconut rice with potato fry or appalam or chips or pappad or any gravy of your choice.
- If using ordinary rice, use rice and water in the ratio of 1:2. If using basmati, use 1:1.5.
- If you feel the cooked rice is slightly mushy, leave the rice inside the fridge for 15-20 mins. This will reduce the mushiness and rice will be ready for use.
- You can use any regular cooking oil or ghee instead of coconut oil.
- For variation, you can add a clove and a small piece of cinnamon to the tempering.
- Quantity of grated coconut is just approximate. You can increase or decrease it to suit your taste.
- Coconut need not be sautéed until golden brown, sauté till slightly and then proceed with adding the rice.
- You can add peanuts too in place of cashews.