Beetroot Paneer Peas Pulao is a colorful, healthy and delicious one pot meal that can be prepared in a jiffy. This is one of the favorite pulao that my family loves, especially my kids.
When I make beetroot as a poriyal/side dish, I have to force them to eat it. However, when I make this pulao, they have it without any complaint. Beetroot Paneer Pulao is so yummy and the colors are so appealing that makes you have more. Any simple raita or pappad or just thick curds with jeera powder sprinkled and this eye catching pulao makes a very healthy and nutritious lunch box menu. I make this pulao in my small pressure cooker when the quantity is less. When I need to cook for more members, I use my rice cooker. I have given the method and proportion for making in a pressure cooker. You can also prepare it in an open pan/kadai.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup or 200 gms
Beetroot – 1 medium sized
Paneer – 100 gms
Green peas – 1 small bowl or a handful
Onion – 2 medium sized
Coriander leaves – ¼ of a small bunch
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp (optional)
Pav bhaji masala or garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – a small pinch
Salt to taste
Water – 1 ½ cups
Garlic – 10 cloves
Ginger – 1” piece
Onion – 1 small
Green chilli – 1
Clove – 2
Cardamom – 1
Cinnamon – 1” piece
Shahjeera or black cumin – ½ tsp
Oil – 4 tsps
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 20 mins
Total time – 30 mins
- Wash the rice in water 2-3 times and soak until the prep work is done.
- Take all the ingredients to grind in a small mixer jar and grind to a coarse paste without adding water.
- Peel beetroot and chop into small dices. Finely chop the onion and coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Heat oil in a small pressure cooker; add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and black cumin and sauté for a minute.
- Add onion and sauté till transparent. Add the coarsely ground paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala or garam masala powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the diced beetroot, paneer and peas. Toss well.
- Add rice and water as needed for the rice. Pressure cook on high flame until one whistle. Lower the flame and cook for another 5 mins. Switch off after 5 mins.
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally. Open and fluff using a fork.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serve this delicious and colorful Beetroot Paneer Peas Pulao with your favorite raita. We enjoyed with Onion Raita.
- I used my Rice Cooker for making the Pulao. I sautéed the masala in a Kadai and later transferred the rice and masala along with water to the Rice Cooker.
- You can skip red chilli powder and use green chillies alone. I wanted to make a little spicy, hence added ½ tsp of red chilli powder.
- Instead of water, you can also use coconut milk for cooking the pulao. The pulao will turn out even more flavorful.