A Tomato Dal Rasam is as good as its main ingredient Rasam Powder. A good Rasam powder can hide the deficiency of other ingredients.
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Whole pepper – 3/4 cup
Jeera or Cumin Seeds – 1 cup
Dhaniya or Coriander seeds – 1/4 cup
Red chillies – 50-100gms (as per taste)
Hing – as per taste
Fenugreek seeds – 2 to 21/2 tsps
- Dry roast everything in a pan and powder in a Mixie.
- Store it in a airtight jar. If making in larger quantity, you can store it inside the refrigerator for freshness.
- You can use half of bydagi red chillies and half of normal red chillies or entirely use same variety of red chillies.
- Hing can be powdered or the compounded variety. If using compounded, ensure that you fry it well in ½ tsp oil until it changes color and puffs and then powder it. If hing is used in the powder, you can skip it while making Rasam.
- Ensure that you roast all the ingredients, cool and then powder them.