Oats Upma is a delicious quick fix dish that can be easily made, be it for breakfast or as a snack to cater your sudden hunger pangs. With the goodness of fiber rich oats, colorful vegetables and a simple tempering, you can transform the hated plain oats into a much loved oats.
At our home, we have this notion that oats are to be had only if you are on a weight loss mission. Earlier, oats was consumed only in the form of plain porridge. With the entry of this colorful, healthy and fiber rich Oats Upma, the notion has made an exit and this Oats Vegetable Upma is now a frequent at home. I have been making this Upma for quite some years after reading the recipe in a booklet that had accompanied the Oats packet. This yummy, healthy and simple Oats Upma is a good change from the regular Upma. Also, very minimal oil is used in its preparation. You can make it plain with just onion, green chillies and ginger or with the addition of veggies available at hand like carrots, beans, potato, sweet corn, cauliflower, green peas, capsicum or a combination. Either ways, at our home, Oats Upma wins over Oats porridge for its taste and appealing colors.
Oats – 1 ¼ cup
Onion – 1 small sized
Carrot – 1 small
Beans – 10 nos.
Green peas – a handful
Green chillies – 1 or 2
Ginger – 1” piece
Curry leaves – few
Turmeric powder – ¼ + ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – ¾ tsp (optional)
Water – 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups
Juice of half a lemon
Coriander leaves – few sprigs
Oil – 2 tsps
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Chana dal – ½ tsp (optional)
Cashews – 8 nos.
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 15 mins
Total time – 25 mins
- Wash and chop onion, green chillies, ginger, carrot, beans and coriander leaves finely. Set everything aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast oats with ¼ tsp turmeric powder for 3-4 mins. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
- Add oil to the same pan and let it heat up. Add mustard seeds, wait for it to splutter.
- Add the dals along with cashews and sauté till dals and cashews turn golden brown.
- Add finely chopped onion, green chilli and ginger. Sauté till onions turn translucent on medium flame.
- Add the chopped veggies and sauté for 3-4 mins. Add roasted oats, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, sugar (if using) and salt to taste. Mix well for a min.
- Reduce flame to low, add water and mix well. If you feel the upma is dry, add ¼ cup of water
- Cover and cook until the water is absorbed. Turn off the flame. Add lemon juice and fluff with a fork. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Delicious and healthy Oats Vegetable Upma/Oats Upma is ready.
- My one cup measures 240 ml. I used the same cup to measure water also.
- I used quick cooking oats.
- You can use whole red chillies instead of green chillies.
- I sometimes skip adding chana dal to the tempering. You can even add peanuts too.
- Ensure that you keep the flame at low after adding water. Stir in between to avoid oats sticking to the pan.
- Oats in Upma should be cooked just right and not until mushy. Hence, adjust water accordingly. If you feel the upma is dry and yet oats is not cooked, sprinkle one or two tbsps of hot water. Adding hot water helps retain the taste and maintaining same cooking temperature.