‘Bread Upma’ is a tasty and easy to make breakfast during the busy mornings. Fresh or left over bread can be used to make this simple dish. Brown, white, multi grain, whole wheat or any available variety of bread can be used for making the Bread Upma.
Upma for me was always associated either with Rava or Vermicelli. As a kid, bread was never consumed in our home as a breakfast or snack item and was always reserved for those days when somebody falls sick at home. Occasionally, French toast was made and through a friend of mine, I got introduced to bread rolls. Other than these, I was totally ignorant that there were a lot many dishes that one could create with bread. This recipe is one of the breakfast/snack items, which I learnt after moving to Pune and since then have been making it often at home. Bread Upma is a very good change from the bread sanchwiches or the toast that we usually make. Moreover, it can be prepared in a jiffy and if you have little extra time, you can also add in available veggies at hand and make it healthy and delicious.
Bread packet – 1
Onion – 1 big sized
Tomato – 2 medium sized
Green chilli – 1
Garlic -7 to 8 cloves
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Juice of one small lemon
Tomato ketchup – 1 tbsp (Optional)
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds – 1tsp
Hing or asafoetida – a big pinch
Peanuts a handful
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 15-20 mins
Total time – 30 mins
Serves – 3
- Chop the bread slices into cubes. Also, chop onions, tomatoes, green chillies, garlic and coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to it and let them crackle. Add the jeera, peanuts and hing. Cook till peanuts turn crisp.
- Add the onions, green chillies, garlic and curry leaves. Turn the heat to medium and saute onions until they are pink.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add salt, chilli and turmeric powders and tomato ketchup (if using). Mix well. Add the lemon juice. Cook for a minute till everything blends well.
- Add the cubed bread slices and toss well. Cook for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
You can serve this delicious Bread Upma for breakfast or dinner or as a snack to cater sudden hunger pangs.
- I used whole wheat store bought bread.
- For variation, you can add fresh green peas or sweet corn. You can also add chopped capsicum, cabbage or grated or chopped carrot. Add them after sautéing onions.
- You can also add finely chopped pudina for a minty flavored upma.